Page images

arms. He then ordered them to advance, and to lead me in front. When we got to the road, they turned down towards Lexington. Wben we had got about one mile, the Major rode up to the officer that was leading me, and told him to give me to the Sergeant. As soon as he took me, the Major ordered him, if I attempted to run, or any body insulted them, to blow my brains out. We rode til! we got near Lexington meeting house, when the militia fired a volley of guns, which appeared to alarm them very much. The Major inquired of me how far it was to Cambridge, and if there were any other road? After some consultation, the Major rode up to the Sergeant, and asked if his horse was tired? He answered him, he was—(He was a Sergeant of Grenadiers, and had a small horse) then, said he, take that man's horse. I dismounted, and the Sergeant mounted my horse, when they all rode towards Lexington meeting house. I went across the burying ground, and some pastures, and came to the Rev. Mr. Clark's house, where I found Messrs. Hancock and Adams. I told them of my treatment, and they concluded to go from that house towards Woburn. I went with them, and a Mr. Lowell, wbo was a clerk to Mr. Hancock. When we got to the house where they intended to stop, Mr. Lowell and myself returned to Mr. Clark's, to find what was going on. When we got there, an elderly man came in ; he said he had just come from the tavern, that a man had come from Boston, who said there were no British troops coming. Mr. Lowell and myself went towards the tavern, when we met a man on a full gallop, who told us the troops were coming up the rocks. We afterwards met anotber who said they were close by. Mr. Lowell asked me to go to the tavern with him, to get a trunk of papers belonging to Mr. Hancock. We went up chamber ; and while we were getting the trunk, we saw the British very near, upon a full march. We hurried towards Mr. Clark's house. In our way, we passed through the militia. There were about fifty. When we had got about one hundred yards from the meeting house, the British troops appeared on both sides of the meeting house. In their front was an officer on horseback. They made a short halt; when I saw, and heard, a gun fired, wbich appeared to be a pistol. Then I could distinguish two guns, and then a continual roar of musquetry; when we made off with the trunk.

As I have mentioned Dr. Church, perhaps it might not be disagreeable to mention some matters of my own knowledge, respecting him. He appeared to be a bigh son of liberty. He frequent


ed all the places where they met, was encouraged by all the leaders of the sons of liberty, and it appeared he was respected by them, though I knew that Dr. Warren had not the greatest affection for him. He was esteemed a very capable writer, especially in verse; and as the wbig party needed every strength, they feared, as well as courted him. Though it was known, that some of the liberty songs, which he composed, were parodized by him, in favor of the British, yet none dare charge him with it. I was a constant and critical observer of him, and I must say, that I never thought him a man of principle; and I doubted much in my own mind, whether he was a real wbig. I knew that he kept company with a Capt. Price, a half pay British officer, and that he frequently dined with him, and Robinson, one of the Commissioners. I know that one of his intimate acquaintance asked him why he was so often with Robinson and Price ? His answer was, that he kept company with them on purpose to find out their plans.

The day after the battle of Lexington, I met him in Cambridge, when he shewed me some blood on his stocking, which he said spirted on him from a man who was killed near him, as he was urging the militia

I well remember, that I argued with myself, if a man will risque his life in a cause, he must be a friend to that cause; and I never suspected him after, till he was charged with being a traitor.

The same day I met Dr. Warren. He was president of the committee of safety. He engaged me as a messenger, to do the out of doors business for that committee ; which gave me an opportunity of being frequently with them. The Friday evening after, about sunset, I was sitting with some, or near all that commit.. tee, in their room, which was at Mr. Hastings's house in Cambridge. Dr. Church, all at once, started up-Dr. Warren, said he, I am determined to go into Boston to-morrow-it set them all a staring) Dr. Warren replied, Are you serious, Dr. Church? they will hang you if they catch you in Boston. He replied, I am serious, and am determined to go at all adventures. After a considerable conversation, Dr. Warren said, If you are determined, let us make some business for you. They agreed that he should go to get medicine. for their and our wounded officers. He went the next morning; and I think he came back on Sunday evening. After he had told the committee how things were, I took him aside, and inquired particularly how they treated him. He said, that as soon as he got to their lines, on Boston neck, they made him a prisoner, and carried bim to General Gage, where he was examined, and then he

was sent to Gould's barracks, and was not suffered to go home but once. After he was taken up, for holding a correspondence with the British, I came across Deacon Caleb Davis ;-we entered into conversation about him ;-be told me, that the morning Church went into Boston, he (Davis) received a billet for General Gage(he then did not know that Church was in town)—when he got to the General's house, he was told, the General could not be spoken with, that he was in private with a gentleman ; that he waited near balf an hour, when General Gage and Dr. Church came out of a foom, discoursing together, like persons who had been long acquainted. He appeared to be quite surprised at seeing Deacon Davis there ; that he (Church) went where he pleased wbile in Boston, only a Major Caine, one of Gage's Aids, went with him. I was told by another person, whom I could depend upon, that he saw Church go into General Gage's house, at the above time; that he got out of the chaise and went up the steps more like a man that was acquainted, than a prisoner.

Sometime after, perhaps a year or two, I fell in company with a gentleman who studied with Church ; in discoursing about him, I related what I bave mentioned above; he said, he did not doubt that he was in the interest of the British ; and that it was he who informed General Gage; that he knew for certain, that a short time before the battle of Lexington, (for he then lived with him, and took care of his business and books) he had no money by him, and was much drove for money; that all at once, he had several hundred new British guineas; and that he thought at the time, where they came from.

Thus, Sir, I have endeavored to give you a short detail of some matters, of which perhaps no person but myself bave documents, or knowledge. I have mentioned some names which you are acquainted with; I wish you would ask them, if they can remember the circumstance I allude to. I am, Sir, with every sentiment of esteem,

Your humble servant,

Paul RevERE.



GOFFE AND WHALEY, THE REGICIDES. In the year 1658, Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of England, died, after he had seen bis own mighty power, and the unrivalled ascendancy he had long maintained in the English Government, sink into the grave before the influence of an adverse party. That party, proceeding in direct hostility to the clains of his son Richard, who was soon proclaimed Lord Protector, and determining to place Charles II. upon the throne rendered vacant twelve years before by the ignominious execution of his father, recalled him from exile, and procured a new parliament evidently friendly to his interests. Fired with resentment against those who were instrumental in the late royal execution, and hoping to frighten into submission, by their promptitude and decision, any faction which might be rising to supplant the new king, his friends in power on his return in 1660, doomed to death ten of the judges who were most active on the trial; and so far did they carry their vengeance that three who were dead, (among whom was Cromwell himself,) were dragged from their graves, hung and buried under the gallows. Among those sentenced to the block were Col. Edward Whaley and Gen. William Goffe. Both of them had been distinguished officers under the Lord Protector, and when he was in the meridian of his glory, enjoyed to a high degree his friendship and confidence. Whaley was also cousin to Cromwell, and father in law to Goffe. Previous, however, to the accession of Charles II. discerning from the complexion of the new parliament, that the restoration must inevitably take place, and perceiving with certainty that they could have little to expect from the mercy of that prince, should they fall into his hands, they deemed it expedient to retire for a short time, at least, into voluntary exile. Accordingly they sailed for the American colonies, and arrived at Boston, July, 1660; and in various parts of New England were secreted, for a period of sixteen or seventeen years, from accidental discovery and royal search.

Upon their first arrival in Boston, they made do secret of their names or characters, but appeared openly in the streets and at public meetings, and were treated with the utmost kindness and hospitality by the inhabitants. While there, one of them is said to have taken occasion to shew his dexterity in the following singular mander. A foolish braggadocio coming into Boston, with the intent to " astonish the natives,” erected a stage and publicly walked it for a number of days, challenging any one to fence with him at swords. At length, one of the judges, probably Goffe, attired as a rustic, taking a cheese in one hand, and a mop sufficiently besmeared in a dirty puddle of water in the other, went out to meet the Philistine. Upon his mounting the stage, the fencing master contemptuously ordered him off-Goffe stood his ground-his antagonist made a pass at him to drive him away—the former received the blow in his cheese, and drew the mop lightly over the latter's countenance. A second and a third thrust was made, but the shield of the judge received and held the sword, each time, long enough for him to draw his mop over the face of his antagonist. Seizing his broad sword the poor gentleman would have taken vengeance for the insult, had not Goffe intimidated him by a threat. The knight of the mop, still unknown, immediately beat a precipitate retreat, and left the gladiator to sneak off to his infinite mortification and the great entertainment of the people.

lo a few months the act of indemnity came over, by which it appeared that Goffe and Whaley were doomed to immediate death. Deeming it imprudent to remain any longer in Boston, lest they should be arrested, they privately withdrew to New Haven, March, 1661. Arriving there, their dignity and rank commanded the respect and secured the friendship of a great part of the colody. In a few days, however, news of the king's proclamation reaching New Haven, they were obliged to abscond. They then went ten miles distant, to Milford, in the day time, and returned to the Rev. Mr. Davenport's at night, where they lay bid for thirty days. In the mean time news had gone to England, that two of the regicides were in the American Colonies. A royal order to arrest and secure them immediately came over to Boston. Two zealous Joyalists, Kellond and Kirk, were commissioned by the Governor of Massachusetts, to scour the country in the pursuit. Having searched the towns in the Massachusetts and New Haven Colonies, they arrived at the house of Deputy Gov. Leet, at Guilford, eighteen miles from New Haven, May 11th. They showed him a copy of the royal orders for the arrest, and demanded aid to carry them into effect. The Governor, who was a warm friend to the judges, after having detained them as long as he was able, consistently with his pretended zeal for their errand, sent them to New Haven without any warrant whatever. On their way thither they beard a sur

« PreviousContinue »