« PreviousContinue »
234 REVELATION vii. 9. I beheld, and lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations and kindreds, and people, which stood before the Throne, clothed with white robes, and palms were in their hands.
Io. And they cried with a loud voice, saying, Hallelujah ; Salvation to our God, Which sitteth on the Throne, and unto the Lamb.
13. And I heard a voice, saying, What are these which are arrayed in white robes ? and whence came they?
14. These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the Blood of the Lamb.
15. Therefore are they before the Throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple.
11. And all the angels who stood round the Throne, and the elders, with the four beasts, fell down before the Throne, and worshipped God, saying, Hallelujah.
12. Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen. Hallelujah.
Blow. 235 Boyce, v. 12.
REVELATION i. 10. I was in the Spirit on the LORD'S day.
I. And I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying Hallelujah; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the LORD our God.
2, 3. For true and righteous are His judgments: and again they said, Hallelujah.
4. And the four and twenty elders and the four beasts fell down, and worshipped God that sat on the Throne; saying, Amen; and again they said, Hallelujah.
5. And a voice came out of the Throne, saying, Praise our God, all ye His servants, and ye that fear Him, both small and great.
6. And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Hallelujah; for the LORD God Omnipotent reigneth.
7. Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb is come. Hallelujah.
237 Psalm iii. 1. Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise against me.
2. Many one there be that say of my soul, there is no help for him in his God.
3. But Thou, O LORD, art my defender; Thou art my worship, and the lifter up of my head.
4. I did call upon the LORD with my voice, and He, heard me out of His holy hill (of Zion].
5. I laid me down and slept, and rose up again, for the LORD sustained me.
6. I will not be afraid for ten thousands of the people, that have set themselves against me round about.
7. Up, LORD, and help me, O my God, for Thou smitest all mine enemies upon the cheek-bone; Thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.
[8. Salvation belongeth unto the LORD, and Thy blessing is upon Thy people.)
Blow. 238 Blow, v. 7. 239 J. H. CLARKE, W. 1-5. 240 EBDON, VV. 4, 5. 241 GREENE, V. I, 3-5, 8. Hallelujah. Amen. 242 Kent, vv. 1-3, 8. 248 PATTISON, Vv. 4-8. 244 STEVENSON, Vv. 1, 2, 1, 3-6, 8.
245 PSALM xxix. 4. The voice of the LORD is mighty in operation : the voice of the LORD is a glorious voice.
xlvi. II. The LORD of Hosts is with us: the God of Jacob is our refuge.
JOB vii. 20. O LORD, I have sinned: what shall I do unto Thee, Thou preserver of men ? O why hast Thou set me up as a mark against Thee, so that I am a burden to myself?
21. O pardon my transgressions, and take away my sin.
ISAIAH Xxxviii. 12. Mine age is departed and removed from me, Thou wilt cut me off with pining sickness.
14. Mine eyes fail with looking upwards, I did mourn as a dove.
O LORD, I am oppressed: undertake for me,
O wherefore is light given to him that is in misery, or life to the bitter in soul;
21, 22. Which long for death, but it cometh not, and rejoice exceedingly when they can find the grave ?
24. For my sighing comes before I eat, and my roarings are poured out like the waters.
Psalm lxviii. 4. O sing unto God, and sing praises unto His Name: magnify Him that rideth upon the heavens, [as it were upon an horse,] praise Him in His Name Jah, and rejoice before Him.
17. The chariots of God are twenty thousand, even thousands of angels, and the LORD is among them, as in the holy place of Sinai.
18. Thou art gone up on high, Thou hast led captivity captive, and received gifts for men : even for Thine enemies, that the LORD God might dwell among them.
19. Praised be the LORD daily: even the God Who helpeth us, and poureth His benefits upon us.
20. He is our God, even the God of Whom cometh salvation : God is the LORD, by Whom we escape death.
251 Psalm 1xix. 1. Save me, O God, for the waters are come in, even unto my soul.
[2. I stick fast in the deep mire, where no ground is.]
3. I am weary of crying, my throat is dry: my sight faileth me for waiting so long upon my God.
7. And why? for Thy sake have I suffered reproof : shame hath covered
face. 10. I wept and chastened myself with fasting, and that was turned to my reproof.
13. But, LORD, I make my prayer unto Thee, in an acceptable time.
14. Hear me, O GOD, in the multitude of Thy mercy; even in the truth of Thy salvation.
Blow. 252 JEKYLL, Vv. 1-3, I. 253 Nares, vv. 1, 3, 13, 14. 254 J. C. PRING, Vv. 1, 3.
255 Salvator mundi, salva nos, Qui per Crucem et Sanguinem redemisti nos : auxiliare nobis, Te deprecamur, Deus noster.
Blow. English Version. (From the Office for the Visitation of the Sick.) O Saviour of the world, Who by Thy Cross and precious Blood hast redeemed us, Save us, and help us, we humbly beseech Thee, O LORD. Amen.
Goss, GREATHEED, HAVERGAL, MACFARREN,
Ouseley, PALESTRINA, J. V. Roberts.
256 PSALM cxv. 1. Not unto us, LORD, not unto us, but to Thy Name give the praise.
cxlv. 17. For Thou art faithful in all Thy works, and just in all Thy ways. Hallelujah. The Lord is faithful in all His works, and just in all His ways.
21. My mouth shall speak of Thy praise, O LORD; and let all flesh give thanks unto Thy holy Name for ever. Amen.
257 PSALM cxvi. I. I am well pleased, that the LORD hath heard the voice of my prayer ;
2. That He hath inclined His ear unto me; therefore will I call upon Him as long as I live.
3. The snares of death compassed me round about, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me.
4. I have found trouble and heaviness, and I did call upon the Name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech Thee, deliver my soul.
5. Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our GOD is merciful.
6. The LORD preserveth the simple ; when I was in misery, He delivered me.
7. Turn again then unto thy rest, O my soul, for the LORD hath rewarded thee.
8. For He hath delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, my feet from falling.
9. I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.
16. I will pay my vows unto the Lord in the sight of His people, in the courts of the LORD's house, even in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem. Hallelujah.
258 Psalm xliv. 1. We have heard with our ears, O GOD, our fathers have told us, what Thou hast done in their time of old;
2. How Thou hast driven out the heathen from the land, and planted them in : how Thou hast destroyed the nations, and cast them out.
3. For they gat not the land in possession through their own sword: neither was it their own arm that helped them;
4. But Thy right hand, and Thine arm, and the light of Thy countenance: because Thou hadst a favour unto them.
5. Thou art my King, O God: send help unto Jacob.
6. Through Thee will we overthrow our enemies : and in Thy Name will we tread them down that rise up against us.
ALDRICH, SULLIVAN. 259 STEGGALL, Vv. 1-4.