« PreviousContinue »
126 St. Luke ii. 10. Behold, I bring you glad tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you this day is born a SAVIOUR, Which is CHRIST the LORD.
10. Glad tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
14. Glory be to God on high, and on earth peace, good will towards men. Hallelujah. Amen.
Croce, GREENE, PURGELL, C. W. SMITH.
127 Psalm 1xxxvi. 1. Bow down Thine ear, O LORD, and hear me : for I am poor, and in misery.
[2. Preserve Thou my soul, for I am holy: my God, save Thy servant that putteth his trust in Thee.)
3. Be merciful unto me, O LORD; for I will call daily
4. Comfort the soul of Thy servant, for unto Thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.
5. For Thou, LORD, art good and gracious, and of great mercy unto all them that call upon Thee.
[6. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer, and ponder the voice of my humble desires.
7. In the time of my trouble I will call upon Thee, for Thou hearest me.]
8. Among the gods there is none like unto Thee, [O LORD :) there is none that can do as Thou doest.
[9. All nations whom Thou hast made shall come and worship Thee, O LORD, and shall glorify Thy Name.]
10. For Thou art great, and doest wondrous things : Thou art God alone.
II. Teach me Thy way, O LORD, and I will walk in Thy truth: O knit my heart unto Thee, that I may fear Thy Name.
12. And I will thank Thee, O LORD my God, with all my heart, and will praise Thy Name for evermore.
(13. For great is Thy mercy toward me: and Thou hast delivered my soul from the nethermost hell.
14. O God, the proud are risen against me, and the congregations of naughty men have sought after my soul, and have not set Thee before their eyes.]
15. But Thou, O LORD God, art full of compassion and mercy: long-suffering, plenteous in goodness and truth,
16. O turn Thee then unto me, and have mercy upon me : [give Thy strength unto Thy servant and help the son of Thine handmaid.]
PURCELL. 128 ATTWOOD, VV, 11-16. Amen. 129 AYRTON, vv. 1, 4, 2, 4, 16, 15. 130 BISHOP, Vv. I, 2.
Amen. 131 J. CLARK, V. 1, 3-5, 9, 10, 14, 16. 132 CROCE, W. H. GLADSTONE, V. II. 133 Croft, GREENE, vv. 6-10. 134 CROTCH, vv. 3, *4. 135 CUMMINGS, v. 6 (O Lord, give ear). 136 DUPUIS, Vv. I, 4, 5, 8–10. 137 GREENE, J. C. PRING, V. 1-4. Amen. 138 W. HAYES, vv. I, 3-5, 12, 13. Hallelujah. Amen. 139 Keeton, vv. 6 (Give ear, LORD), 7, 4, 8–10. 140 LUCAS, vv. I, 3, II, 12. 141 Pattison, vv. 6, 7. 142 ROBINSON, vv. 1-3, 6-10. Hallelujah. Amen, 143 West, V. 4-10.
* This verse is sometimes sung as a separate Anthem.
144 PSALM xix. 12. LORD, *who can tell how oft he offendeth ? O cleanse Thou me from my secret faults.
13. Keep Thy servant from presumptuous sins, lest they get the dominion over me: so shall I be undefiled, and innocent from the great offence.
14, 15. Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be always acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer, Glory be to the Father, &c.
PURCELL. 145 (ATTWOOD, BARNBY, BLAIR, CULLEY, KELWAY,
} vv. 14, 15. (Amen.] 146 WELDON, vv, *12 (Who can tell), 13-15. Amen.
147 Psalm lvi. I. Be merciful unto me, O GOD, for man goeth about to devour me: he is daily fighting, and troubling me.
2. Mine enemies are daily in hand to swallow me up, for they be many that fight against me, o Thou most Highest.
3. Nevertheless, though I am sometime afraid, yet put I my trust in Thee.
4. I will praise God, because of His word : I have put my trust in God, and will not fear what flesh can do unto
5. They daily mistake my words; all that they imagine is to do me evil.
6. They hold all together, and keep themselves close, and mark my steps, when they lay wait for my soul.
7. Shall they escape for their wickedness? Thou, o God, in Thy displeasure shall cast them down.
10. In God's word will I rejoice ; in the Lord's word will I comfort me.
11. Yea, in God have I put my trust; I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
[12. Unto Thee, O GOD, will I pay my vows; unto Thee will I give thanks.
13. For Thou hast delivered my soul from death, and my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living.) Hallelujah. Amen.
148 OUSELEY, vv. 1, 3, 4.
151 PSALM cxii. 1. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD: he hath great delight in His commandments.
2. His seed shall be mighty upon earth, the generation of the faithful shall be blessed.
3. Riches and plenteousness shall be in his house, and his righteousness endureth for ever.
4. Unto the godly there ariseth up light in the darkness; he is merciful, loving, and righteous.
5. A good man is merciful.
[6. He shall never be moved: the righteous shall be had in everlasting remembrance.
7. He will not be afraid of any evil tidings, for his heart standeth fast, and believeth in the LORD.]
9. He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor; his name shall be exalted with honour. Hallelujah.
PURCELL. 152 Boyce, vv. 1-3, 6, 7. 153 OUSELEY, vv. I, 2. 154 WHITFELD, Vv. 1-3.
155 The SONG OF SOLOMON ii. 10. My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
11. For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. 12. The flowers appear upon the earth. And the time of the singing of birds is come. Hallelujah. And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
13. The fig-tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vine with her tender grapes gives a good smell.
10. Rise, my love, my fair one, and come away.
156 PSALM lvii. 8. My heart is fixed, O GOD; I will sing and give praise with the best member that I have.
9. Awake up, my glory; awake, lute and harp; I myself will awake right early.
10. I will give thanks unto Thee, O LORD, among the people; and I will sing unto Thee among the nations.
II. For the greatness of Thy mercy reacheth unto the heavens, and Thy truth unto the clouds.
12. Set up Thyself, O GOD, above the heavens, and Thy glory above all the earth. Hallelujah.
PURCELL. 157 NARES, WISE, vv. 9-12.
158 Psalm cxi. 1. I will give thanks unto the LORD, with my whole heart, secretly among the faithful, and in the congregation.
2. The works of the Lord are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.
3. His work is worthy to be praised, and had in honour, and His righteousness endureth for ever.
4. The merciful and gracious LORD hath so done His marvellous works that they ought to be had in remembrance.
6. He hath shewed His people the power of His works, that He may give them the heritage of the heathen.
7. The works of His hands are verity and judgment; all His commandments are true.
8. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and equity.
9. He sent redemption unto His people; He hath commanded His covenant for ever; holy and reverend is His Name.
159 PSALM cxix. 153. O consider my adversity, and deliver me: for I do not forget Thy law.
154. Avenge Thou my cause, O LORD; O quicken me, according to Thy word.
155. Health is far from the ungodly: for they regard not Thy statutes.
156. Great is Thy mercy, O LORD; O quicken me, as Thou art wont.
157. Many there are that trouble me, and persecute me: yet do I not swerve from Thy testimonies.
158. It grieveth me when I see the transgressors; because they keep not Thy law.
159. Consider, O LORD, how I love Thy commandments: O quicken me, according to Thy loving-kindness,
160. Thy word is true from everlasting: all the judgments of Thy righteousness endure for evermore. Glory be to the Father, &c.