« PreviousContinue »
No longer sorrow as without hope, oh earth!
Babe weak and wailing, in lowly village stall
Hail, gladdening Light, of His pure glory poured,
Who is the Immortal Father, Heavenly, Blest, Holiest of Holies, Jesu Christ, our Lord.
Now we are come to the sun's hour of rest,
The lights of evening round us shine,
Worthiest art Thou at all times to be sung
With undefiled tongue, Son of our GOD, Giver of life, alone : Therefore in all the world Thy glories, LORD, they own. Amen.
FIELD, GOUNOD, MARTIN.
St. Luke xxiii. 28. Filiæ Jerusalem, nolite flere super Me, sed super vos ipsas flete, et super filios vestros.
33. Et venerunt in eum, qui dicitur Calvaria, locum, ibi crucifixerunt Jesum.
St. Matthew xxvii. 39. Prætereuntes autem blas. phemabant Eum, moventes capita sua.
St. Luke xxiii. 34. Jesus autem dicebat: Pater, dimitte illis, non enim sciunt quid faciunt.
39. Unus autem de his qui pendebant latronibus,
42. Dicebat ad Jesum: Domine, memento mei, cum veneris in regnum Tuum.
43. Et dixit illi Jesus: Amen dico tibi; Hodie Mecum eris in Paradiso.
St. John xix. 26. Cum vidisset ergo Jesus matrem, et discipulum stantem quem diligebat, dicit matri Suæ: Mulier, ecce filius tuus.
27. Deinde dicit discipulo, Ecce mater tua.
St. MATTHEW xxvii. 45. Tenebræ factæ sunt super universam terram.
46. Et circa horam nonam clamavit Jesus voce magnâ, dicens :
St. Mark xv. 34. Eloi, Eloi, lama Sabacthani ? quod est interpretatum : Deus Meus, Deus Meus, ut quid dereliquisti Me?
St. John xix. 28. Posteà sciens Jesus quia omnia consummata sunt, ut consummaretur scriptura, dixit : Sitio.
29. Vas ergo erat positum aceto plenum, Illi autem spongiam plenam aceto, hyssopo circumponentes, obtulerunt ori Ejus.
30. Cum ergo accepisset Jesus acetum, dixit : Consummatum est.
St. Luke xxiii. 46. Pater, in manus Tuas commendo spiritum Meum.
English Version. St. Luke xxiii. 28. Daughters of Jerusalem, weep ye not; weep not for Me, weep for yourselves, and for your children.
33. And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified Jesus.
St. MATTHEW xxvii. 39. And they that passed by reviled Him, wagging their heads.
St. LUKE xxiii. 34. Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them: for they know not what they do.
39, 42. And one of the malefactors which were hanged said unto Jesus, LORD, remember me when Thou comest into Thy Kingdom.
43. And JESUS said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, This day shalt thou be with Me in Paradise.
ST. JOHN xix. 26. When Jesus therefore saw His mother and the disciple standing by, whom He loved, He saith unto His mother, Woman, Behold thy son.
27. Then saith He to the disciple, Behold thy mother.
St. MATTHEW xxvii. 45. There was darkness over all the land.
ST. MARK XY. 34. And at the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eloi, Eloi, lama Sabacthani ? which is, being interpreted, My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?
St. John xix. 28. After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, saith : I thirst.
29. Now there was a vessel full of vinegar; and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and they put it to His mouth.
30. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, He said : It is finished.
St. Luke xxiii. 46. Father, into Thy hands I commend My spirit: [and He bowed His head and gave up the ghost].
GOUNOD, King. 1047 Elvey, St. Luke xxiii. 28.
“GALLIA." LAMENTATIONS i. I. Quomodo sedet sola civitas plena populo! Facta est quasi vidua domina gentium, princeps provinciarum, facta est sub tributo.
2. Plorans ploravit in nocte et lacrymæ ejus in maxillis ejus : non est qui consoletur eam ex omnibus charis ejus, omnes amici ejus spreverunt eam, et facti sunt ei inimici.
4. Viæ Sion lugent eo quod non sint qui veniant ad solemnitatem, omnes portæ ejus destructæ, sacerdotes ejus gementes, virgines ejus squalidæ, et ipsa oppressa amaritudine.
12. Ovos omnes, qui transitis per viam, attendite, et videte si est dolor sicut dolor meus.
9. Vide, Domine, afflictionem Meam, quoniam erectus est inimicus.
Jerusalem! Jerusalem ! Convertere ad Dominum Deum tuum.
English Version. 1. Solitary lies the city, she that was full of people. How is she widowed, she that was great among nations, princess among the provinces ? How is she put under tribute ?
2. Sorely she weepeth in darkness. Her tears are on her cheeks; and no one offereth consolation ; yea, all her friends have betrayed her, they are become her enemies.
4. Zion's ways do languish, none come to her solemn feasts. All her gates are desolate: her priests sigh, yea, her virgins are afflicted, and she is in bitterness.
12. Is it nothing to all ye that pass by? Behold, and see if there be any sorrow that is like unto My sorrow.
9. Now behold, O LORD, look Thou on My affliction ; see, the foe hath magnified himself.
Jerusalem, Jerusalem, O turn thee to the LORD thy GOD, O turn thee unto thy God.*
GOUNOD. Sometimes sung as a separate Anthem.
1049 JESU our LORD, Son of God, our Redeemer, let all created beings praise Thy Name. May Thy grace and Thy blessing descend on us. LORD, our Redeemer, kindle love anew in our hearts. Let all created beings bless Thy Name. Blessed Word Incarnate, Only Son of the Father, hear us, in pity hear our prayer. Give us strength in our weakness, give us rest from our labours, give us help in our sorrows, give us faith in Thy promise, and the glory of heaven. For our sins, our just sentence was death everlasting, but Thy Cross, LORD, hath saved us. Thou art our life! May we share in Thy victory, may we follow Thy triumph, may we rise in Thy likeness, and reign in Heaven with Thee. Jesu, our LORD, Son of God, our Redeemer, let all created beings praise Thy Name.
Another Version. PSALM xliii. 3. Send out Thy light and Thy truth, let them lead me, and let them bring me to Thy holy hill.
4. O GOD, then will I go unto Thy altar; on the harp we will praise Thee, O LORD our GOD.
5. Why, O soul, art thou sorrowful ? and why cast down within me ? Still trust the loving-kindness of the God of thy strength, and my tongue yet shall praise Him Who hath pleaded my cause.
xx. 6. LORD our God, Thou wilt save Thine anointed, Thou wilt hear us from Heaven.
7. Though in chariots some put their faith, our trust is in Thee.
8. They are brought down and fallen, but the Lord is our helper, we shall not be afraid.
1050 O come near to the Cross whereon hangs our Redeemer. Ye faithful, shed your tears, for your LORD pours His lifeblood for the world's salvation ! Obehold, as ye weep, your Lord hung on His Cross, the spotless Victim ; how He bleeds, how He dies, how He drinks to the dregs the bitter cup of sorrow, dying to give us life. Ah, behold !