Page images

was no answer.

whalers, and brought to America. The full circumstances we annex from Sargent's Arctic Adventure.

"In the month of September, 1855, the whaler George Henry, Captain Buddington, of New London, Connecticut, was drifting along, beset by the ice, in Baffin's Bay, when one morning the captain, looking through his glass, saw a large ship some fifteen or twenty miles distant, apparently working her way toward him. Day after day, while helplessly imprisoned in the pack, he watched her coming nearer. On the seventh day, the mate, Mr. Quail, and three men were sent out to find out what she was.

After a hard day's journey over the ice-jumping from piece to piece, and pushing themselves along on isolated cakes -- they were near enough to see that she was lying on her larboard side firmly imbedded in the ice. They shouted lustily, as soon as they got within hailing distance ; but there

Not a soul was to be seen. For one moment, as the men came alongside, they faltered, with a superstitious feeling, and hesitated to go on board. A moment after, they had climbed over the broken ice, and stood on deck. Everything was stowed away in order--spars hauled up and lashed to one side, boats piled together, hatches calked down. Over the helm, in letters of brass, was inscribed the motto, 'England expects every man to do his duty. But there was no man on board to heed the warning

The whalemen broke open the companion-way, and descended into the cabin.. All was silence and darkness. Groping their way to the table, they found matches and candles, aud struck a light. There were decanters and glasses on the table, chairs and lounges standing around, books scattered about--everything just as it had been last used. Looking curiously from one thing to another, wondering what this ship might be, at last they came upon the log-book. It was indorsed, “Bark Resolute, 1st Sept., 1853, to April, 1854.' One entry was as follows, 'H. M. S. Resolute, 17th January, 1854, nine a. M.--Mustered by divisions. People taking exercise on deck. Five P. M.—Mercury frozen.'

This told the story. It was Captain Kellett's ship, the Resolute, which nad broken away from her icy prison, and had thus fallen into the hands of our Yankee whalemen. While the men were making these discoveries, night came on, and a gale

So hard did it blow that they were compelled to remain on board, and for two days these four were the whole crew of the Resolute. It was not till 19th of September that they returned to their own ship, and made their report.

All these ten days, since Captain Buddington had first seen her, the vessels had been nearing each other. On the 19th he boarded her himself, and found that in her hold, on the larboard side, was a good deal of ice. Her tanks had burst, from the extreme cold ; and she was full of water, nearly to her lower deck. Everything that could move from its place had moved. Everything between decks was wet; everything that would mould was mouldy. “A sort of perspiration' had settled on the beams and ceilings. The whalemen made a fire in Kellett's stove, and soon started a sort of shower from the vapor with which it filled the air. The Resolute had, however, four fine force dumps. For three days the captain and six men


worked fourteen hours a day on one of these, and had the pleasure of find ing that they freed her of water--that she was tight still. They cut'away upon the masses of ice; and on the 23d of September, in the evening, she freed herself from her encumbrances, and took an even keel. This was oft the shore of Baffin's Bay, in latitude 670, On the shortest tact, she was twelve hundred miles from where Kellett left her.

There was work enough still to be done. The rudder was to be shipped, the rigging to be made taut, sail to be set--and it proved, by the way, that the sail on the yards was much of it still serviceable, while a suit of new linen sails below were greatly injured by moisture. In a week more, she was ready to make sail. The pack of ice still drifted with both ships; but on the 21st of October, after a long north-west gale, the Resolute was free.

Captain Buddington had resolved to bring her home. He had picked ten men from the George Henry, and with a rough tracing of the American coast, drawn on a sheet of foolscap, with his lever watch and a quadrant for his instruments, he squared off for New London. A rough, hard passage they had of it. The ship's ballast was gone, by the bursting of the tanks:; she was top-heavy and undermanned. He spoke to a British whaling bark, and by her sent to Captain Kellett his epaulets, and to his own owners news that he was coming. They had heavy gales and head winds, and were driven as far down as the Bermudas. The water left in the ship's tanks was brackish, and it needed all the seasoning which the ship's chocolate would give to make it drinkable. “For sixty hours at a time,' says the captain, 'I frequently had no sleep;' but his perseverance was crowned with success, at last, and, on the night of the 23d of December, he made the light off the harbor from which he sailed, and on Sunday morning, the 24th, dropped anchor in the Thames, opposite New London, and ran up the British ensign on the shorn masts of the Resolute.

Her subsequent history is fresh in the minds of our readers. The British government generously relcased all their claim in favor of the sailors. Thereupon, Congress resolved that the vessel should be purchased and restored as a present to her majesty from the American people. This design was fully carried out. The Resolute was taken to the dry-dock in Brooklin, and there put in complete order. Everything on board--even to the smallest article--was replaced as nearly as possible in its original position:; and, at length, having been manned and officered from the United States navy, and placed under the command of Captain Hartstein, the Resolute, stanch and sound again from stem to stern,' with sails all set and streamers all afloat, once more shaped her course for England.

On the 12th of December, 1856, after a boisterous passage, she anchored at Spithead, with the United States and British ensigns flying at the peak. • Notwithstanding the furious gale which was then raging,' says Captain Hartstein, in his official report, we were immediately boarded by Captain Peal, of her Britannic Majesty's frigate Shannon, who cordially offered to us every civility and attention. In a few moments afterward, a steamer arrived from Vice-Admiral Sir George Seymour (commanding officer of the station), with a tender of services, and congratulations upon our safe arrival. Proceeding to Portsmouth next morning (which I did in a government steamer provided me for that purpose), 1 visited the United States consulate, and was there waited upon by Sir Thomas Maitland, who had become commanding officer of the naval station in the absence of the admi ral, Sir George Seymour, and received from him a most cordial welcome, with proffers of every possible service, by express instruction from the ad miralty. Accommodations were prepared for us at the first hotel, and orders for a bountiful supply of provisions to be sent on board the Resó lute; also a carte blanche for the railroad to London, for myself and the officers of the Resoluté. In fact, nothing could exceed the kindness and courtesy with which we were treated by Sir Thomas Maitland, who seemed upwilling that any means of adding to his hearty expressions of welcome should pass unexhausted. That morning's post brought me a communication from Sir Charles Wood, first lord of the admiralty, whose expressions of kindly feeling I beg may be particularly noticed. At noon of the day after our arrival, a royal salute was fired from the Victory (flag ship), from the fortifications, and from the Shannon, at Spithead.

The queen having expressed a wish to visit the Resolute, and a desiro that the vessel might be taken to Cowes, near her majesty's private residence, the ship was towed thither by the government steamer, escorted by two other steamers and the steam frigate Retribution.

Meanwhile, the necessary diploniatic formalities had been exchanged between the American minister and Lord Clarendon.

Of the queen's visit to the Resolute, which took place on the 16th of December, we quote the following description from the London Times :

* The queen, accompanied by Prince Albert, the Prince of Wales, the Princess Royal, and the Princess Alice, ieft Osborne at a quarter past ten c'clock, and drove to the ship in an open carriage, drawn by four gray ponies. Her majesty was attended by a distinguished suite. The Resolute, dressed in her colors, was lashed alongside of the royal embarkation place at Trinity Wharf. The English and American flags were flying at the peak; and, as soon as the queen set her foot on the deck, the royal standard was hoisted at the main. The Retribution fired a salute, the boats' crews tossed their oars, and the ship's company, standing on the rail, received her majesty with three rounds of cheers. Captain Hartstein received the royal party at the gangway, and the officers, in full uniform, were grouped on either side. All were presented to the queen by Captain Hartstein, who then addressed her majesty in the following words :

'Allow me to welcome your majesty on board the Resolute, and, in obe dience to the will of my countrymen and the President of the United States, to restore her to you, not only as an evidence of a friendly feeling to your sovereignty, but as a token of love, admiration, and respect to your majesty personally.

The queen seemed touched by the manly simplicity of this frank and sailor-like address, and replied, with a gracious smile, 'I thank you,

sir. The royal family then went over the ship, and examined her with manifest interest.

After the withdrawal of the royal party, there was an elegant dejeuner' in the wardroom, at which, among other toasts, was given, 'The future success of the Resolute, and may she be again employed in search for Sir John Franklin and his comrades.' The sentiment evoked cordial applause.

On the afternoon of the same day, 'I received,” says Captain Hartstein, 'a note, inclosing a check for one hundred pounds, with a request from her majesty that it should be distributed among the crew; which I accepted in their behalf.

On the morning of December 17th, the Resolute was towed up to the harbor of Portsmouth, escorted by the steam frigate Retribution; and, on arriving at her anchorage, was received by another royal salute, and with such an outburst of popular feeling as was never known before.

The British government and people were unremitting in their attentions to Captain Hartstein and his officers, during their stay in England. Three splendid Christmas cakes were forwarded by Lady Franklin to Portsmouth, to be presented to the American officers and crew. A passage to the United States, in the British steamer Retribution, was tendered them. This, howeyer, it was thought best to decline. On the 30th of December, 1856, the American flag was hauled down on board the Resolute, when it was saluted by the Victory with twenty-one guns. The union-jack was then hoisted, and the ship was given up to the authorities. The next day the American officers and crew left England, on their return to the United States.

By late English papers, we learn that the queen has commissioned Mr. William Simpson, the artist of the Crimean war, to paint for her private gallery a picture of the 'Reception' on board the Resolute-a very graceful memorial of a most interesting act of international courtesy.”


Our countrymen who have wandered to the antipodes, although they do not rise until we sit down to our suppers, and in some other habits, occasioned by geographical and climatic necessities, are the reverse of us, yet seem to preserve all our essential national traits, judging from a published series of “fast” letters from a youthful American merchant, Mr. George Francis Train, and entitled “Young America Abroad.” One of these, dated at Melbourne, Australia, we extract entire, as it shows what some of our people are about, and what their behavior in that far-distant quarter of the globe.

"You will be surprised to see how fast this place is becoming Americanized. Go where you will, from Sandridge to Bendigo, from the “Ovens " to Balaarat, you can but note some indication of the indomitable energy of our people. 'Hang a coffee-bag in that place, noted for the warmth of its temperature and the morals of its inhabitants, and a Yankee will be sure to find it,' says some observer of our national character.

The true American defies competition, and laughs sneeringly at impossibilities. He don't believe in the word, and is prepared to show how meaningless it is. It is not an unusual thing to hear the movers of some undertaking that has been dragging its slow carcass along, remark : ‘If you want to have the jetty finished, you must let the Americans take hold of it; and sure enough they have obtained the contract to complete the Hobson's Bay Railroad Pier, and our countrymen mechanics invariably receive the preference.

A mail or two since I wrote you about the Tittlebat appearance of the Melbourne fire brigade at the late fire in Collins street, and suggested tho propriety of your sending us out a Boston tub or two, just for aggravation sake. Hardly had my letter cleared the Heads before we had another scorcher, more furious than the first, burning down some half-dozen buildings in Flanders lane. The Americans could not endure it any longer, and on the spot determined to volunteer their services for the public good. It was too much for our weak nerves to see the reckless destruction of property, simply for want of a suitable engine. The next morning our paper was started and sixteen thousand dollars subscribed in less time than it takes to perform the Episcopal service, for the purchasing of the suitable apparatus for a thoroughly efficient fire department under the volunteer system. After all the American houses had contributed their fifty pounds, the paper was passed around among the 'merchants of all nations, who gladly gave us a helping hand. A committee has been appointed to wait upon his excellency, with a brief outline of our system of managing such affairs, and to request the government to furnish us with engine houses, etc., if it met with his sanction and approval. A meeting will be called to hear the report of said committee, and if favorable, the orders for the engines will be sent forth with.

As most of the Atlantic States are represented here by mercantile houses, there is quite a difference of opinion about where, and by whom said machinery shall be made---some say Boston-and I most respectfully would intimate that I am one of that number, having for many years a most religious belief in the superiority of that city over many others for clipper ships, clipper mechanics, clipper engines, clipper scholars and clipper merchants. Some say New York, others, Philadelphia, while one or two believe in Baltimore. To settle the question, we may have to draw from each an engine for competition sake-each maker will then be striving to excel, and we shall accordingly get the best 'mer-chines.'

This movement will show you that the Americans are not asleep.

A few days since I was trying my vail, preparatory for the dust that sweeps along Collins street, between Queens and Sawston, when my old eyes were made glad by the appearance of a real old Boston water-cart in full operation. The streets were being watered, and 't was amusing to see the astonished natives on each side gaping incredulously at the watering machine. No wonder, poor benighted race. It was something they never dreamed of; they could not understand how that water, which they were paying two dollars a cask for, should be scattered up and down the streets. One man, more intelligent than the rest, had presence of mind enough to climb up on the wheel and tell the driver, amid a shout from the knowing ones, that the water was all leaking out of his cart !

On inquiry, I found that an American was watering the street on subscription. I noticed one spot in the middle of the street as dusty as ever, while either side was carefully sprinkled. It seems that the occupart of the store adjoining declined paying for the luxury, so the driver stopped just before, and commenced sprinkling again just after having passed his door!

A company of American Californians have started a line of passenger wagons (American, of course, made at Concord) to Bendigo; another party have two teams running from Geelong to Balaarat; and some Cape Cod

« PreviousContinue »