« PreviousContinue »
202. The American Monthly Magazine and British Register, 8vo. Presented by A. S. Glass.
203. The American Monthly Magazine and Critical Review, for 1817, 8vo. Presented by Lucius Bull.
204. The Monthly Visiter and Entertaining Pocket Companion, by a society of gentlemen, 11 svol. 24mo.
218. Letters from Mons. Racine, the Elder, to his son, M. Racine, the Younger, when a a youth, containing rules and instructions for his conduct through life.—Anecdotes of several persons, and sketches of historical events in the court of France, in the reign of Lewis XIV., to which is added a short account of the abbey of Port Royal, 24mo. Presented by E. Duyckinck.
220. The Mirror, a periodical paper published at Edinburgh, in the years 1799 and 1800, 2 vols. 24mo. Presented by Henry White.
249. Life and Letters, together with poetical and Miscellaneous pieces, of William Person, 24mo.
250. Essay on Irish Bulls, by Richard Lovell Edgeworth and Maria Edgeworth, 24mo. *
154. Imperial and Country Annual Register for the
on a variety of subjects.
and fables, by Nizami. Vol. 5. Essays on different subjects, and a grammar of the Persian language.
Vol. 6. Poeseos Asiatics" Commentariorum libri sex, cum appendice ; subjicitur limon, seu miscelltneorum liber. Vol. 7. Charges to Grand Juries and Institutes of Hindu law, or the ordinances of Menu, according to the gloss of Calluca. Vol. 9. The Speeches of Isaeus, in causes concerning the law of succession to property at Athens. Vol. 8. Essays on a variety of subjects.—The Mahomedan law of succession to property of intestates.—The Mohammedan law of inheritance. Vol. 10. The Moallakat, or seven Arabian poems which were suspended on the temple at Mecca.—Poems, essays, and letters. Vols. 11, 12. L'Histoire de Nader Chah
Traite sur la Poesie orientale. Vol. 13. Hito pade sa of Vishnusarman, Two hymns to Pracriti.—Extracts from the Vedas. 1100. The Literary and Scientific Repository and Critical Review, 2 vols, 8vo. (published in NewYork, 1820.) """1191. Recollections of Italy. England and America, with essays on various subjects of morality aw) literature, by F. A. De Chateaubriand, 8vo. Presented by Cornelius Savage. 1206. Official Reports of the Canal Commissioners of the state of New-York, and the acts of the legislature, &c. 8vo. 1197. History of the Rise, Progress, and existing condition of the western canals fiom September 1788, to the completion of the middle section of the grand canal, in 1819, with the rise, progress, and state of modern agricultural societies, from 1807 to 1820, by Elkanah Watson, Svo. 1334. The Works of Samuel Johnson, 12 vols. 12mo. with plates.
Vol. 1. An Essay on his life and genius, by
and miscellaneous essays.
Vol. 8. Miscellaneous Essays—Political Tracts. A Journey to the western islands of Scotland. Vols. 9, 10, 11. Lives of the British Poets. Vol. 12. Lives of eminent persons.—Letters selected from the collection of Mrs. Piozzi, and others.—Prayers. 2026. Literary Chronicle and Weekly Review, London, 1821, 4to. 2033. Niles' Weekly Register, 8vo. to be continued. 303. A View of Society and Manners in France, Switzerland, and Germany, by John Moore, MD., in 2 vols. 18mo. Presented by A. S. Glass. 283. Letters and Poems, by Thos. Gray, 24mo.
Presented by C. Savage. 285. Curiosities for the Ingenious, 24mo. Presented by a Member. 1822. The Works of James Beattie, LL. D., in 10 vols. 18mo.
Vols. 1, 2, 3. Dissertations, moral and critical. Vols. 4, 5, 6. Miscellaneous Essays. Vols 7, 8, 9. Elements of Moral Science. Vol. 10. The Minstrel, and other Poems. 374. Apples of Gold, for young men and women, and a Crown of Glory for old men and women, by the Rev. Thos. Brooks, 18mo. 1743. Helon's Pilgrimage to Jerusalem.—A picture of Judaism in the century which preceded the advent of our Saviour, translated from the German of Frederick Strauss, 2 vols. 12mo,
1841. Marriage Ceremonies, and Modes of Courtship of the various nations of the universe, selected from the most approved authors, by T. Moore, 18mo.
380. The National Calendar for 1824, by Peter. Force. 24mo.
399. Essays and Sketches of Life and Character, by a gentleman who has left his lodgings, 24mo.
402. Animal Economy, by Isaac Ball.
729. Hobhouse's Letters from France during the reign of the Emperor Napoleon, with official documents, principally in French, 8vo. 1268. Friend of Youth, or a selection of lessons, in prose and verse, by Noah Worcester, 12mo. Presented by E. Bliss <$. E. White.
743. Edinburgh Review, 38 vols. to be continued, 8vo.
806. Specimens of Irish Eloquence, arranged and collected, with biographical notices, by Charles Phillips, Esq., 8vo. Presented by W. B. Gilley. 1698. Private Journal of Madame Campan, comprising original anecdotes of the French court; selections from her correspondence; thoughts on education, &c. 12mo. 1702. Letters of Mrs. Elizabeth Montagu, with some of the letters of her correspondents, published by Matthew Montagu, Esq. M. P. 3 vols. 8vo.
330. Curious Antiquities or the etymology of many remarkable old sayings, proverbs, &c. by Joseph Taylor, 24mo. 1713. Recollections and Reflections, personal and political, as connected with public atfairs, during the reign of George III. by John Nicholls, Esq. M. P. 12mo.
548. Monthly Military Repository, inscribed to the military of the United States of America, by Charles Smith, with maps and engravings, 2 vols. 8vo. Presented by John L. Gardiner.
554. Poems and Essays, by the late Miss Bowdler, published for the benefit of the Orphan Asylum Society, and Economical School, in New-York, 8vo. Presented by John E. Hyde. '519. The Monthly Mirror : reflecting men and manners. With strictures on their epitome, the Stage. 6 vols. 8vo. Presented by Allen Robbins.
515. The American Monthly Magazine and Critical
Review, 4 vols. 8vo. 1244. The Miscellaneous Works of Wm. Paley, DD. 4 vols. 8vo. Presented by D. M'Gregor.
536. Peter's Letters to his Kinsfolk, 8vo.
539. Works of Fisher Ames, compiled by a number of his friends, to which are prefixed notes of his life and character, 8vo.
502. Report upon Weights and Measures, by John Quincy Adams, Secretary of State of the United States, prepared in obedience to a resolution of the Senate of the 3d March, 1817, 8vo.
514. An Appeal from the Judgments of Great Britain, respecting the United States of America, by Robert Walsh, jr., 8vo. 1267. Salem Witchcraft, or more wonders of the invisible world, by Robert Calef, 12mo. 1957. Volney's Ruins, or meditations on the revolution of empires, made under the inspection ofthe author, 12mo. Presented by Marcellus Van Gieson.
629. The North American Review, complete and to be continued, Cvo.
806. The Quarterly Review, complete and to be continued, 8vo.
849. Blackwood's Magazine, complete and to be continued, 8vo.
2049. Niles' Register, 18th, 19th, and 20th vols. 8vo. Presented by B. J. Seward. 2085. Orations, &c. by— Edward Everett, J. J. Mauger, David Ramsay,