« PreviousContinue »
Dawns the day, the natal day,
He is King, the glorious King,
Three in One contained.
Blest is JESUS, by Whose Name
GOD by Whom the world was made,
GOD has come to earth, the Child
Hail! Holy Babe, in Mary's bosom sleeping!
Sleep, sweetest child, Thy friends their watch are
Kneeling around the manger poor and lowly,
Care not, fair Babe, for all that shall befall Thee; Sleep on and dream of nought that shall appal Thee; Too soon shalt sigh, God's sigh for man outspoken, Sigh, when the Heart refused by men is broken.
O wondrous thing! O mystery unsounded!—
Shout, O Zion, and rejoice,
Come then forth to meet Him.
Holy JESU, may we raise
ISAIAH xlix. 13. Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted His people, and will have mercy upon His afflicted.
14. But Zion said, The LORD hath forsaken me, and the LORD hath forgotten me.
lv. 7. Return unto the LORD, and He will have mercy upon you; and to your GOD, for He will abundantly pardon.
XXX. 18. Therefore will the LORD wait, that He may be gracious unto you, and therefore will He be exalted, that He may have mercy upon you: for the LORD is a GOD of judgment: blessed are they that wait for His salvation.
xlix. 13. Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; and break forth into singing, O mountains: for the LORD hath comforted His people, and will have mercy upon His afflicted. Sing, O heavens; and be joyful, O earth; break forth into singing, O mountains.
JESU, Who from Thy Father's throne,
O may the charms of that sweet love,
ST. LUKE i. 30. And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary for thou hast found favour with GOD.
31. And, behold, thou shalt bring forth a son, and shalt call His Name JESUS.
32. He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest and the LORD GOD shall give unto Him the throne of His father David :
JESU, Who took'st that heavenly Name,
O, may we bow our heart and knee,
JESU, draw up our souls to Thee above.
PSALM 1xxviii. 24. The LORD opened the doors of heaven.
25. He rained down manna also upon them for to eat : and gave them food from heaven.
26. So man did eat angels' food.
cvi. I. O give thanks unto the LORD, for He is gracious and His mercy endureth for ever.
NUMBERS XXIV. 17. (Revised Version.) There shall come forth a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel.
19. Out of Jacob shall One have dominion.
GENESIS xlix. 10. And unto Him shall the obedience of the peoples be.
ISAIAH lxiii. 1. Who is this that cometh from Edom, with dyed garments from Bozrah? this that is glorious in His apparel, marching in the greatness of His strength?
XXV. 9. Lo, this is our GOD; we have waited for Him, and He will save us: this is the LORD; we have waited for Him, we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation. Amen.
The day is past and over;
The toils of day are over;
I raise the hymn to Thee,
Be Thou my soul's preserver,
O GOD! for Thou dost know
Through which I have to go:
PSALM 1xvii. I. (Bible Version.) GOD be merciful unto us, and bless us; and cause His face to shine upon us; 2. That Thy way may be known upon earth, Thy saving health among all nations.
3. Let the people praise Thee, O GOD; let all the people praise Thee.
4. Olet the nations be glad and sing for joy; for Thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth.
5. Let the people praise Thee, O GOD; let all the people praise Thee.
6. Then shall the earth yield her increase; and GOD, even our own GOD, shall bless us.
7. GOD shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear Him.
(From "Seed-time and Harvest," No. 2.) WEST.
DEUTERONOMY xxviii. 8. The LORD shall command the blessing upon thee in thy storehouses; He shall bless thee in the land which the LORD thy GOD giveth thee.
PSALM 1xxxv. 12. Yea, the LORD shall give that which is good; and our land shall yield her increase.
JOEL ii. 21. Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice: for the LORD will do great things.
22. Be not afraid, ye beasts of the field; for the pastures of the wilderness do spring, for the tree beareth her fruit, the fig tree and the vine do yield her strength.
24, 26. The floors shall be full of wheat, and ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the Name of the LORD your GOD, that hath dealt so wondrously with you.
(From "Seed-time and Harvest," No. 5.) West.
PSALM lxvi. 1. (Prayer Book Version.) O be joyful in GOD, all ye lands: sing praises unto the honour of His Name; make His praise to be glorious.
2. Say unto God, O how wonderful art Thou in Thy works.
3. For all the world shall worship Thee: sing of Thee and praise Thy Name.
4. O come hither, and behold the works of GOD: how wonderful He is in His doing toward the children of men.
PSALM Civ. 24. O LORD, how manifold are Thy works: in wisdom hast Thou made them all; the earth is full of Thy riches.
Ixvi. 1-3. O be joyful . . . sing of Thee and praise Thy Name.