« PreviousContinue »
1355 Psalm liii. The fool within his heart hath spoken, There is no GOD. Corrupt are they all become in their doings, and no man, none there is that doeth good. GOD out of Heaven mankind regarded : were there any that had understanding, and after God were seeking? They all are turned backward, and none there is that doeth good, ah! no man. Upon the LORD they have not called. In His wrath He hath despised them. Who gives salvation to Israel out of Sion? When God shall bring His own from captivity, then shall Jacob be in gladness, and Israel shall be joyful.
1356 Psalm ii. 1-4, 11, 12. Why assemble the heathen, and peoples imagine a vain thing? Behold, the kings of the earth stand up, and thus their counsel take, against the LORD and against His anointed. Let us then break their bonds asunder, and cast away their yoke. But from Heaven the LORD shall despise them : He shall laugh them to scorn. Serve the LORD with fear : praise ye Him with trembling. They are blessed, all, who put their trust in Him.
1357 Joel ii. 12. Thus saith the LORD, turn ye to Me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning;
13. And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God : for He is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth Him of the evil. EZEKIEL xxxiii. II. Turn ye, turn ye
evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel ?
PSALM XXV. 16. Turn Thee unto me, and have mercy upon me, for I am desolate and afflicted.
17. The troubles of my heart are enlarged, O bring thou me out of my distresses.
God of my life, to Thee I call,
Leave not my trembling heart to fail. Hebrews xii. 3. For consider Him that endured such contradiction of sinners against Himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
PHILIPPIANS iii. 10, 11. That ye may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death; if by any means ye might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Совв. 1358 Isaiah 1x. 1. Surge, illuminare, Jerusalem ; quia venit lumen tuum, et gloria Domini super te orta est.
2. Quia ecce, tenebræ operient terram, et caligo populos : super te autem orietur Dominus, et gloria Ejus in te videbitur.
3. Et ambulabunt Gentes in lumine tuo, et reges in splendore ortus tui.
Совв. English Version. 1. Arise, shine, for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.
2. For, behold, darkness shall cover the earth, ard gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and His glory shall be seen upon thee.
3. And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
COBB, ELVEY. 1359 A. H. MANN, vv. 1, 2.
1360 0 Thou most merciful Jesu, of souls the blest Redeemer, grant to us, LORD, this our humble desire : By the agony of Thy sacred and pitiful heart, wash in Thy precious all-cleansing Blood sinners laden with heaviest guilt in their agony and now to-day in the pains of dying. Sacred Heart, once with agony smitten, O have mercy on all passing souls, O have mercy, Jesu, on all passing souls !
1362 Psalm cxvi. 5. Gracious is the LORD, and righteous : yea, our God is merciful.
6. The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and He helped me.
7. Return unto thy rest, O my soul, for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee.
5. Gracious is the LORD and righteous; yea, our God is merciful. Amen.
1363 *ISAIAH xl. 9. Alleluia. O Zion, that bringest good tidings, get thee up into the high mountain ; Jerusalem, that bringest good tidings, lift up thy voice with strength ; be not afraid ; say to the cities of Judah, Behold your God! Alleluia. Amen.*
O that Birth, for ever blessed,
When the Virgin, full of grace,
Sometimes sung as a separate Anthem.
And the Babe, the world's Redeemer,
Evermore and evermore,
Of the Father's Love begotten
Ere the worlds began to be,
He the Source, the ending He,
1364 EXODUS XX. 18. And all the people saw the thunderings and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking : and when the people saw it, they removed and stood afar off.
19. And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear : but let not GOD speak with us, lest we die.
When God of old came down from Heaven,
In power and wrath He came;
Half darkness and half flame.
He came in power and love ;
Hovered His holy Dove. Amen.
1 John iv. 7. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of GOD, and every one that loveth knoweth God.
12. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and His love is perfected in us.
Come, LORD, come, Wisdom, Love, and Power,
Open our ears to hear;
1365 ISAIAH lii. 1. Awake, awake! put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come unto thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.
2. Shake thyself from the dust; arise, and sit down, O Jerusalem ; loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, 0 captive daughter of Zion.
1. Awake, awake! put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments. Awake, awake!
*7. How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace, that publisheth salvation ; that saith unto Zion, thy GOD reigneth ! *
8. Thy.watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing, for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion.
9. Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem : for the LORD hath comforted His people, He hath redeemed Jerusalem.
10. The Lord hath made bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the world have seen the salvation of our God.
9. Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem. Hallelujah. Amen.
STAINER. Sometimes sung as a separate Anthem.
1366 ISAIAH liv. 7. For a small moment have I forsaken thee; but with great mercies will I gather thee.
8. In a little wrath I hid My face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer.
10. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed ; but My kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of My peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy upon thee.