« PreviousContinue »
PSALM lvi. 1. Be merciful unto me, O GOD, for man goeth about to devour me: he is daily fighting, and troubling me.
2. Mine enemies are daily in hand to swallow me up, for they be many that fight against me, O Thou most Highest.
3. Nevertheless, though I am sometime afraid, yet put I my trust in Thee.
4. I will praise GOD, because of His word: I have put my trust in GOD, and will not fear what flesh can do unto
5. They daily mistake my words; all that they imagine is to do me evil.
6. They hold all together, and keep themselves close, and mark my steps, when they lay wait for my soul.
7. Shall they escape for their wickedness? Thou, O GOD, in Thy displeasure shall cast them down.
10. In GOD's word will I rejoice; in the LORD's word will I comfort me.
II. Yea, in GOD have I put my trust; I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.
[12. Unto Thee, O GOD, will I pay my vows; unto Thee will I give thanks.
13. For Thou hast delivered my soul from death, and my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living.] Hallelujah. Amen.
148 OUSELEY, vv. I, 3, 4.
149 CROTCH, OUSELEY, VV. 10-13. [Amen.] 150 SYDENHAM, VV. 1-3, II.
PSALM CXii. 1. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD: he hath great delight in His commandments. 2. His seed shall be mighty upon earth, the generation of the faithful shall be blessed.
3. Riches and plenteousness shall be in his house, and his righteousness endureth for ever.
4. Unto the godly there ariseth up light in the darkness; he is merciful, loving, and righteous.
5. A good man is merciful.
[6. He shall never be moved: the righteous shall be had in everlasting remembrance.
7. He will not be afraid of any evil tidings, for his heart standeth fast, and believeth in the LORD.]
9. He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor; his name shall be exalted with honour. Hallelujah. PURCELL.
152 BOYCE, vv. 1-3, 6, 7.
THE SONG OF SOLOMON ii. 10. My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise, my love, my fair one, and come away. II. For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone. 12. The flowers appear upon the earth. And the time of the singing of birds is come. Hallelujah. And the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
13. The fig-tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vine with her tender grapes gives a good smell.
10. Rise, my love, my fair one, and come away. 16. My beloved is mine, and I am his. Hallelujah. PURCELL.
PSALM lvii. 8. My heart is fixed, O GOD; I will sing and give praise with the best member that I have.
9. Awake up, my glory; awake, lute and harp; I myself will awake right early.
10. I will give thanks unto Thee, O LORD, among the people; and I will sing unto Thee among the nations.
11. For the greatness of Thy mercy reacheth unto the heavens, and Thy truth unto the clouds.
12. Set up Thyself, O GOD, above the heavens, and Thy glory above all the earth. Hallelujah.
157 NARES, WISE, vv. 9-12.
PSALM CXi. 1. I will give thanks unto the LORD, with my whole heart, secretly among the faithful, and in the congregation.
2. The works of the LORD are great, sought out of all them that have pleasure therein.
3. His work is worthy to be praised, and had in honour, and His righteousness endureth for ever.
4. The merciful and gracious LORD hath so done His marvellous works that they ought to be had in remembrance.
6. He hath shewed His people the power of His works, that He may give them the heritage of the heathen.
7. The works of His hands are verity and judgment; all His commandments are true.
8. They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and equity.
9. He sent redemption unto His people; He hath commanded His covenant for ever; holy and reverend is His Name.
PSALM CXIX. 153. O consider my adversity, and deliver me: for I do not forget Thy law.
154. Avenge Thou my cause, O LORD; O quicken me, according to Thy word.
155. Health is far from the ungodly: for they regard not Thy statutes.
156. Great is Thy mercy, O LORD; O quicken me, as Thou art wont.
157. Many there are that trouble me, and persecute me: yet do I not swerve from Thy testimonies.
158. It grieveth me when I see the transgressors; because they keep not Thy law.
159. Consider, O LORD, how I love Thy commandments: O quicken me, according to Thy loving-kindness.
160. Thy word is true from everlasting: all the judgments of Thy righteousness endure for evermore.
Glory be to the Father, &c.
PSALM lxiii. I. O GOD, Thou art my GOD: early will I seek Thee.
2. My soul thirsteth for Thee, my flesh also longeth after Thee, in a barren and dry land where no water is.
3. Thus have I looked for Thee in holiness: that I might behold Thy power and glory.
4. For Thy loving-kindness is better than life itself: my lips shall praise Thee.
5. As long as I live will I magnify Thee on this manner, and lift up my hands in Thy Name.
8. Because Thou hast been my helper, therefore under the shadow of Thy wings will I rejoice. Hallelujah. Amen.
[lxviii. 32, 35. Sing unto GOD, O ye kingdoms of the earth: O sing praises unto the LORD; even the GOD of Israel; He will give strength and power unto His people. Blessed be GOD.]
GREENE, W. HAYES, PURCELL. 161 T. JACKSON, VV. 1, 3-5; lxviii. 32, 35. Amen.
PSALM cl. I. O praise GOD in His holiness; praise Him in the firmament of His power.
2. Praise Him in His noble acts; praise Him according to His excellent greatness.
3. Praise Him in the sound of the trumpet; praise Him upon the lute and harp.
4. Praise Him in the cymbals and dances; praise Him upon the strings and pipe.
5. Praise Him upon the well-tuned cymbals; praise Him upon the loud cymbals.
6. Let everything that hath breath praise the LORD. BLAIR, B. COOKE, DISTIN, GAUL, PURCELL.
168 GOLDWIN, MARTIN, TRIMNELL, WHITfeld, Wise,
164 Weldon, vv. 1–4, 6.
PSALM iii. Jehova, quam multi sunt hostes mei, quam multi insurgunt contra me! Quam multi dicunt de animâ meâ, non est ulla salus isti in Deo plane. At Tu, Jehova, clypeus es circa me: gloria mea, et extollens caput meum. Voce meâ ad Jehovam clamanti respondit mihi e monte sanctitatis Suæ maxime. Ego cubui et dormivi, ego expergefeci me, quia Jehova sustentat me. Non timebo a myriadibus populi quas circum disposuerint metatores contra me. Surge, surge, Jehova, fac salvum me, Deus mi: Qui percussisti omnes inimicos meos maxillam, dentes improborum confregisti. Jehova est salus, super populum Tuum sit benedictio Tua maxime.
1. O LORD Jehovah, how many are they that vex me, how many arise to seek my hurt.
2. How many say of my soul in derision, It is not for him to find in his GOD salvation.
3. But Thou, Jehovah, like a shield defendest me, Thou art my glory, and the lifter up of my head.
4. With my voice I cry aloud to Jehovah, and He doth hear me, and from His holy mountain He doth answer
5. I did lay me down to take rest; I was sleeping, then I awaked; yea, for Jehovah sustaineth me.
6. I will fear not, though of the people ten thousands against me have set themselves as adversaries round about.
7. Rise up, rise up, Jehovah, my help and salvation be. 8. For Thou hast all mine enemies smitten upon the cheek-bone, yea, the teeth of the wicked Thou hast broken.
9. Jehovah doth save us. On Thy people, Thy chosen, for ever be Thy blessing plenteously.
PSALM Viii. I. O LORD our Governour, how excellent is Thy Name in all the world! Thou that hast set Thy glory above the heavens.