« PreviousContinue »
1105 ST. JAMES iv. 10. Humble thyself in the sight of the LORD, and He shall lift you up.
8. Draw nigh unto God, and He will draw nigh unto thee.
Joel ii. 13. Turn unto Him, for He is gracious and merciful, and slow to anger.
HEBREws xii. 6. Whom the Lord loveth Hechasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom He receiveth.
Psalm cxii. 4. Unto the godly there ariseth up light in the darkness.
1106 PSALM cv. 1. O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon His Name: make known His deeds among the people.
2. Sing unto Him, sing psalms unto Him: talk ye of all His wondrous works.
3. Glory ye in His holy Name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
4. Seek the LORD, and His strength : seek His face evermore.
1107 Tobit xiii. 7. I will extol my God, and my soul shall praise the King of Heaven, and shall rejoice in His greatness.
9, 12. O Jerusalem, the Holy City, blessed shall all be which love thee for ever.
14. O blessed are they which love thee, for they shall rejoice in thy peace.
10. Give praise to the LORD, for He is good : and praise the everlasting King. Amen.
1108 JUDITH xvi. 13, 15. O LORD Thou art great and glorious, wonderful in strength, yet Thou art merciful to them that fear Thee.
14. Let all nations serve Thee, for Thou spakest, and they were made, Thou didst send forth Thy Spirit, and it created them, and there is none that can resist Thy voice.*
The Song of the Three Holy Children. 68. O all ye that worship the LORD, bless the God of gods, praise Him, and give Him thanks, for His mercy endureth for ever.
YOUNG. * Sometimes sung as a separate Anthem.
1109 Joel ii.
1. Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in My holy mountain : let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the LORD cometh : it is nigh at hand.
1110 EZEKIEL xxxiii. 30. Come, we pray ye, come, and hear what is the word that cometh from the LORD.
ST. MARK X. 16, 14. He took us in His arms, and blessed us, saying, Suffer little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.
PSALM viii. 2. Out of the mouths of babes hath He ordained praise.
(From “ Immanuel," No. 28.) LESLIE.
1111 PSALM li. 1. O have mercy upon me, O LORD, after Thy great goodness: according to the multitude of Thy mercies do away mine offences.
3. I acknowledge my faults, O my God. 9. LORD, turn Thy face from my sins.
11. Cast me not away from Thy presence, O my God, and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me. O my God, have mercy. LORD, have mercy.
1112 St. John vi. 47. Verily, verily, I say unto you: He that believeth on CHRIST hath everlasting life.
ST. MATTHEW xi. 28, 30. Come unto Him and He will give you rest, all ye that labour and are heavy laden; for His yoke is easy, and His burden light.
*St. Luke iv. 18. The spirit of the LORD is upon Him; for He hath anointed Him to preach the gospel to the poor; and He hath sent Him to heal the broken-hearted.*
(From " Immanuel," Nos. 23-25.) LESLIE. * Sometimes sung as a separate Anthem.
1113 ST. JOHN i. 1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us.
PSALM xlv. 3. Thou art fairer than the children of men : full of grace are Thy lips, because God hath blessed Thee for ever.
St. Luke i. 68. Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, for He hath visited and redeemed His people. Amen.
1114 ISAIAH xlix. 1, 2. Listen, o isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far. The LORD hath called me from the womb, and He hath made my tongue like a sharp sword.
MALACHI iv. 6. He shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers.
ST. MATTHEW iii. 2. Repent ye: for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.
1115 St. Luke i. 26, 27. And the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, to a Virgin of the house of David ; and the Virgin's name was Mary.
28. And the angel came in unto her and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the LORD is with thee: blessed art thou among women. Hallelujah. Amen.
W. H. MONK.
1116 EPHESIANS iv. 32. Be ye kind one to another.
2. And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour.
1117 PSALM xxxvii. 1. Fret not thyself because of the ungodly, neither be thou envious against the evil doers;
2. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and be withered even as the green
herb. 3. Put thou thy trust in the LORD, and be doing good:
4. [Delight thou in the LORD,] and He shall give thee thy heart's desire.
(5. Commit thy way unto the LORD, and put thy trust in Him, and He shall bring it to pass.]
6. He shall make thy righteousness as clear as the light, and thy just dealing as the noon-day.
[8. Leave off from wrath, and let go displeasure; fret not thyself, else shalt thou be moved to do evil.]
9. Wicked doers shall be rooted out.
10. Yet a little while and the ungodly shall be clean gone; thou shalt look after his place, and he shall be away.
ii. But the meek spirited shall possess the earth, and shall be refreshed in the multitude of peace.
28. For the Lord loveth the thing that is right. He forsaketh not his that be godly, but they are preserved for
[ROMANS xii. 19. Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, saith the LORD.
PSALM xxxvii. 40. The salvation of the righteous cometh of the LORD, Who is also their strength in the time of trouble.
41. And the LORD shall stand by them, and save them ; He shall deliver them from the ungodly, and shall save them, because they put their trust in Him.)
M. SMITH. 1118 J. CAMIDGE, vv. 1-6, 8; Romans xii. 19;
Psalm xxxvii. 40, 41.
1120 Psalm viii. 3. When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers, the moon and the stars which Thou hast ordained,
4. What is man, that Thou art mindful of him, and the son of man, that Thou regardest him ?
1121 RevelATION xxii. 1. And there was a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the Throne of God and of the Lamb.
2. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month : and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
3. And, behold, there shall be no more curse : but the Throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it, and His servants shall serve Him.
4. And they shall see His face, and His Name shall be in their foreheads.
5. And there shall be no night there, and they shall need no candle, nor light of the sun; for the LORD their God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever. Hallelujah. Amen.