« PreviousContinue »
We make him lord of. Call the Lady Constance;
[Exeunt all but the Bastard. Bast. Mad world ! mad kings ! mad composition !
John, to stop Arthur's title in the whole,
555. solemnity] the marriage of the forth.'" Mr. Wright points out that Dauphin and Blanch.
the proper form of the word is 561. composition] agreement. “rouned," from A.S. rúnian, and Compare “compound,” line 281 quotes Piers Plowman (B text), iv. 13: supra.
"And ritt rizte to resoun, and rowneth 563. departed with] parted with. in his ere.”° Compare also Gosson's
566. God's own soldier] Compare Apology of the Schoole of Abuse (ed. Macbeth, v. viii. 45:
Arber, p. 74): “for his Pypers were “Siw. Had he his hurts before ? ready too rounde him in the eare, what Ross. Ay, on the front.
he should speake." Şiw. Why then, God's soldier 568. broker] agent. The Bastard be he!"
harps upon the connection of breaking 566. rounded] whispered. Com- with the sound of “ broker." pare The Winter's Tale, i. ii. 217: 571, 572. Who ... cheats] An ão They 're here with me already, obvious anacoluthon. whispering, rounding Sicilia is a so
But the word “maid," cheats the poor maid of that,
Well, whiles I am a beggar, I will rail 573. tickling] flattering. We still of running out of the straight. speak of tickling a man's pride. Peised : poised, balanced. To “take Compare Coriolanus, 1. i. 263 : head from all indifferency” is to
"Such a nature, leave impartiality, to become biased. Tickled with good success, dis- The “eye,” according to Staunton, dains the shadow
was the aperture in the bowl where Which he treads on at noon.” the leaden weight, also called the Vaughan would read “tickling" as “bias," was fixed. a trisyllable.
590. angels] the angel was a gold 574-580. Commodity ... intent] coin worth ten shillings in Elizabeth's The Bastard compares Commodity, time. i.e. Expediency or Self-interest, to 591. But ... yet] because my the leaden weight inserted in the side hand has been untempted as yet. of a bowl to give it“ bias," the power
And say there is no sin but to be rich;
[Exit. ACT III
SCENE 1.—The French King's Pavilion.
Enter CONSTANCE, ARTHUR, and Salisbury.
False blood to false blood join'd! gone to be friends!
Act 111.] Actus Secundus in the 14. widow] This is not historically Folios, ending at line 74.
correct. At this time Constance was 12. capable of fears) susceptible to married to a third husband, Guido, fears. Compare 11. i. 476 supra, and brother to the Viscount of Touars. Greene's Never Too Late (1600), She had been divorced from her p. 95: “ Mirimadas eares were not second husband, Ranulph, Earl of capable of any amorous persuasion." Chester.
And though thou now confess thou didst but jest,
But this one word, whether thy tale be true.
That give you cause to prove my saying true.
Teach thou this sorrow how to make me die,
This news hath made thee a most ugly man. 16, 17. And ... truce) So Rowe; And ... jest with ... spirits, ... truce Ff. 24. signs] sighs Warburton. 27. you] you 'll Keightley.
17. cannot] Pope printed "can't" “Have every pelting river made so in order to regularise the line. But proud " spirits" is often a monosyllable, That they have overborne their and the accentuation of the line in
continents”dicates that it is so here.
exactly the continenti ripa of Horace. 19-26. What dost ... be true) 27, 28. As true ... saying true] This may be compared with Rather a roundabout asseveration, but Northumberland's speech on hearing quite in the vein of early Shakespeare, of Hotspur's death (2 Henry IV. i. I). 36, 37. Fellow, be gone . . . ugly
23. bounds] containing banks. man] Compare this with Cleopatra's Compare A Midsummer - Night's reception of bad news about Antony Dream, II. i. 92:
(Antony and Cleopatra, 11. v.).