Page images

move to their support at the earliest possible moment in the morning. I ordered Lieutenant Culbert, of the Union Rifles, to collect his command and proceed to Burlington as soon as possible, which was promptly obeyed; and, at the same time, dispatched a mes. senger directing Captain Barcellow, of the Rough and Ready Rifles, 10 have his company in town, and ready to move at any moment. At or about daylight be reported, with his company, for orders; bur from information received during the night, it was thought unnecessary to send other forces there. Lieutenant Culbert remained two days, made several arrests, and returned without meeting with any serious difficulty.

On the 28th of July, 1862, there were two companies, of eighty men each, organized under the provisions of our ordinance, passed by the council of the city of Rising Sun, and attached to my command for a home guard, the first under Captain R. G. Young, the second under command of Captain Mark Breadbury, both of which, as well as the Union Rifles, performed a great amount of hard and laborious service prior to the ordering of the other companies into camp, rendered necessary, as I conceived, by the close proximity of a company of guerrillas, whose headquarters were within twelve miles of us, in Kentucky, and the disloyal feeling of a large majority of the people immediately opposite us; and an exhibit is herewith filed, marked A, taken from the morning reports of the several companies, the immediate command of which, for police purposes, had been assigned to Adjutant Whitlock.

On the 8th of September, 1862, I was directed to provide suitable quarters for the three companies of my command, belonging to the Legion, so that Regimental Quarter-Masters could furnish subsistence, and order them into camp at the earliest period. Two of them, the Union Rifles and the Hartford Rifles. went into

camp the next day; the Rough and Ready Rifles on the day following. In the meantime, Quarter-Master Scoggin had made complete provision for their accommodation. Captains Young's and Bread. bury's companies were not required to go into camp, but contiued to furnish their share of men for guard duty at night; the residue of the company sleeping in the armory. For the number of men, and length of time in camp, you are referred to the regimental report herewith filed, marked B.

On the same day, I was ordered to take prompt measures to secure, upon this side of the Ohio river, all water crafts which could be made available for crossing troops to this side of the

river, and to keep them under guard; which was promptly obeyed, and every thing in the shape of a boat brought to this point, destroying such as were not willingly given up.

On the 9th of September, 1862, I was ordered to place a strong guard at every point opposite my county, where the enemy could ford the river, as it was as yet uncertain where they would strike; but that a crossing must be prevented. I immediately detailed Captain Joseph Thompson, with a squad of men, to make an accurate sounding of the several shoal places in the river, opposite Ohio county, which developed the fact that there were three points with less than three feet of water, two of which could be forded with perfect safety. At each of these I posted a strong guard during the day; at night a full company, with pickets on the other side, to signal us on the approach of the enemy

On the sane day, in accordance with notice previously given, I organized two companies of militia in Randolph township, in obedience to an order issued by the Governor on the 5th of September. The first, under the command of Captain George Brown, with instructions to establish his headquarters at some point on the Ohio river, between this city and the line dividing Ohio and Dearborn counties. To keep a strong guard posted on the river bank, and so distributed as to form a continuous line, connecting the forces stationed here with those of Dearborn county. The second company was placed under the command of Captain A. Williams, stationed at Millersburg, with instructions to extend his line of pickets so as to connect with the forces of Switzerland county. Both of these companies rendered valuable and efficient service, in guarding remote parts of our line.

The forces then in camp, under my command, consisted of the following:

1st, Company A, Captain J. C. Wells, Union Rifles. 2d, Company E, Captain J. R. Cole, Hartford Rifles. 3d, Company C, Captain J. A. Baricklow, Rough and Ready

Guards. 4th, Company B, Captain R. G. Young, First Cavalry Guards. 5th, Company D, Captain B. M. Enock, Second Cavalry Guards. With Lieutenant Harris' section of artillery.

For the number of men in the respective camps, and the length of time they were in camp, you are referred to regimental reports herewith filed and marked, although we specified in our details for the day, an hour for squad, company, and battalion drill. There was but little drilling aside from battalion drill, dress parade, and guard mounting, owing to the large proportion of men detailed for guard duty at the same time, and the distance of the points where they were required from each other. On the 11th I was ordered to take possession of the ferry boat plying across the river at this point, (which had been permitted to run under certain restrictions.) and allow no persons to cross the river. unless they were known to be loyal, and for proper purposes; the large number of loyal persons fleeing from the enemy, and those depending upon us for their daily supplies, rendered it a most delicate and perplexing duty. In taking possession of the boat, I was compelled to take into my custody two horses, the motive power of the boat. On the 15th, from demonstrations made by the enemy at Humboldt, Ky., for the supposedl purpose of taking the mail boat or of effecting a crossing at a shoal place known to us as Gunpowder bar, there were four coinpanies of the Eighty-Third Indiana Regiment, then stationed at Lawrenceburg, sent to this point and attached to my command. One company, Captain Eggleston's, was ordered, and immediately proceeded to a point opposite Gunpowder bar, to guard that crossing. One company, Captain Morris' and Lieutenant Humyer's section of artillery was ordered to Millersburg, so as to be in a position to support the force either at this place or Gunpowder bar, and at the same time two pieces of artillery, under the command of Captain Craig, of Lawrenceburg, were ordered to this place.

On the morning of the 16th, from telegraphic reports received from the patriots, I was induced to believe that the enemy had or were planting a battery on the hights about Humbolton, I ordered Captain Craig, with his two pieces of artillery, to a point opposite to that place, and accompanied him myself, leaving J. C. Wells in command of the forces here. I also ordered Lieutenant Haines back to this place. On my arrival opposite Humbolton, I made a careful exainination of the hills overlooking the place, but could not see any thing that even looked suspicious, we remained on the ground during the night, saw a few signal rockets thrown up from a point back of the town, but saw nothing indicating the presence of the

enemy; at an early hour in the morning we returned. Beliering it unnecessary to keep Captain Craig's Artillery Company any longer he was ordered back to Lawrenceburg, on the 17th.

It was believed by military gentlemen whose position would enable them to form a more accurate opinion than I could, that the

[ocr errors]

enemy had planted a battery in the immediate vicinity of Humbolton, and masked it so effectually as to escape observation. After consultation with Captains Williams and Ross, of the gunboats Cottage and Heely, I determined to proceed to that point, and make a careful reconnoissance of the country around that place, those gentlemen promptly offering to act in concert with their boats, and transport any force I wanted to convey to that point.

On the morning of the 18th, I ordered Captain Calvert to detail twenty-five men from his conipany, and Lieutenant Bridges, then in command of Captain Layard's company, to detail a like number from his company, and had him provide for the fifty men, who proceeded by land to Humbolton, where they were met by the gunboats Cottage and Heely, with Captains Eggleston's and Morris' companies on board, who had been ordered to that point per boat. After the infantry had been landed, the gunboats took positions so as to coinmand the only two approaches to the river. The two companies belonging to the boats were thrown out so as to inake a critical reconnoissance of the hights overlooking the town and river. Captains Morris' and Eggleston's companies remained on the ground in order that they might act as emergency should require, while Captain Calvert proceeded with his force down the river to Bigboone creek, then up said creek to a point three miles beyond Bigboone spring. After obtaining the most reliable information in relation to the position, purposes, and movements of the enemy, he returned. The infantry, having satisfied themselves that there was not any of the enemy about, also returned. Having accomplished some of the objects of the expedition, we returned about nine o'clock.

On the 19th, having learned, from the most reliable information, that the enemy was retiring back in Kentucky, the several companies were relieved in a great measure from guard duty. On the 20th, Captain Cole's and Captain Baricklow's companies were discharged from camp. On the 21st, the four companies of the Eighty-Third Regiment were ordered back to Lawrenceburg; and on the 22d, Captain Wells' company was relieved from duty.

I sincerely regret that other duties have prevented me from giving as full an account of our operations as I would like to have done.

In conclusion, allow me to say that both officers and men discharged every duty imposed upon them so promptly and cheerfully, that I have no special comments to make.









Lawrenceburg, December 6, 1862.

Brigadier-General A. C. DOWNEY,

Commanding Fourth Brigade, Indiana Legion:

DEAR SIR:-On the 6th of September I was placed in command of this regiment, and on the Sth my command was ordered into active service. I had then but seven companies, two of artillery and five of infantry, as follows: Captain Miller, artillery, 64 men; Captain Phalon, 92; Captain Geigolt, 101; and Captain Webber, 64, at Aurora. Captain Craig, artillery, 64 men; Captain Howard, 87 men; and Captain Thompson, 78 men, at Lawrenceburg.

These companies were at once placed on duty at their respective stations, and kept a strong picket by night along the whole of our county bordering on the Ohio river, and by day a vigilant guard at the shallow places in the river, and at the towns of Aurora and Lawrenceburg.

I was greatly aided by Colonel Patterson, at Aurora, and afterward by R. C. Bond, Esq., as also by Captain Howard, and A.

« PreviousContinue »