Page images

Our casualties were three killed and thirty-five wounded. The cavalry had two wounded and eight of the men taken prisoners, who were paroled the same evening. The enemy's loss was thirtysix killed, between seventy and eighty wounded, and sixteen taken prisoners. We also captured twelve or fifteen horses, one hundred and thirty-five or forty small arms, and a great many blankets, sabers, &c.

It is needless to say that all did well; both officers and men seemed to vie with each other in deeds of daring. Thus terminated the battle of Panther creek.

Subsequent to this, you will observe, by accompanying papers, another very urgent request to return to Owensboro with my command. The rebels had threatened to return with reinforcements, ind visit the place with retribution for their Panther creek discomriture, which kept the public mind, and especially the troops at that point, in the wildest state of excitement.

On the morning of the 6th of October, I again had between four and five hundred men opposite Owensboro, on this side of the river. By this time my men began to complain; "the citizens would not defend themselves; more than half of the town were rebel sympathizers; they had lost their friends at Panther creek in defending a people who would not fight for themselves; their crops were suffering, tobacco in particular, the only thing they expected to realize a remunerative price for.” Although the last man would have crossed the river if I had said so, I was charitable enough to heed their murmerings. I put two pieces of artillery in position; sent Major Holman, who was then in command, a note declining to cross the river; that I proposed to defend his camp and town from this side of the river; "that he should give the citizens of Owensboro notice that just as soon as the women and children could escope, after the attack was made upon him, or the town taken possession of by the rebels, I should commence shelling it from this side, a thing I was amply prepared to peform." His answer to this you will see in the closing paragraph of his note of the 6th of October. No attack was made, at that time, cither upon the camp or city, nor have they had any trouble on the border of Davies county, Kentucky, since I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Colonel Fourth Regiment Indiana Legion. P. S. I have been in command of all the troops in this county since their organization.

J. W. c.








Perry County, December 5, 1862.

Major-General Love,

Commanding Indiana Legion, Indianapolis :


GENERAL:- In obedience to orders received, I beg leave to submit the following report concerning the service rendered by my command since its organization. As early as August, 1861, troubles began on the border, in the counties in Kentucky opposite to

Several bands of guerrillas formed themselves in the back parts of Hancock and Davies counties, who threatened to attack this side of the river. This regiment of the Legion, at that time, consisted of eight companies, under the command of Colonel Charles Mason, a force of about 450 men, who were not all armed then, but were shortly after provided with arms by the QuarterMaster General.

About the 25th of August, a band of guerrillas entered the opposite town of Hawesville at night, and, with the help of the secesh citizens of that place, drove the Union men out of the town, who crossed over to find protection on our side. The company, Deutsche Sayer,

which I commanded at that time, comprising the Newcomb Guards, Emmett Guards, and Cannelton Artillery, were immediately called out, and the guerrillas left the town before day-break, without doing much damage, and fell back on Yelvington, in the back part of Hancock county. The alarm once created, almost every company volunteered to keep a night guard in the towns and along the border. This was done for several successive weeks, until we were assured that the robber band had gone to join the Southern enemy. In October a new appeal was made for help, by Captain Ritchie, commanding the Clay Guards, at Hawesville. Guerrillas had again invaded the town in the night, and succeeded in capturing several of the company, arms, and ammunition. I crossed immediately to Hawesville, with a small force, such as could be collected in a hurry, but, as always, the birds had fled.

The principal citizens of Hawesville were then notified that I should hold them and their town responsible for all outrages committed upon Union men. From his Excellency, Governor Boyle, of Kentucky, I received full authority to act in any emergency. Nothing occurred of further notice until in June, 1862, when large forces collected in Davies, Hancock, and Breckinridge counties. Troops were sent from Louisville to Henderson and Greensboro, and a Provost Marshal appointed in each county. Two days after the appointment of Major Stout as Provost Marshal of Hancock county, he called on me again for help against a company who were forming on the Hartford road. With a company from Cannelton, I crossed the river, and with the aid of Captain Ritchie's company and Captain Lightfoot's company of mounted infantry, we succeeded in dispersing the rebels, taking thirteen prisoners, who were sent to Colonel Dent, at Louisville. Afterward, six more were taken who were in the neighborhood, and also sent to Louisville. This checked them up a little, but on the 17th of September they commenced the same game. Bands had actually formed on a larger scale than ever, and they succeeded in taking Owensboro on the 10th of September, from where they were driven by the Spencer County Legion, a portion of which I commanded that day under Colonel Crooks. After being routed the next day by Colonel Crooks at Panther Creek, they fell back into Hancock and Breckinridge counties, and prepared to attack Colonel Shanks at Cloverport. As soon as I received a messenger from him, I repaired there with two companies, the Tobin Guards and the Rome Legion, about one hundred and forty men. We stayed in

camp until Sunday morning, when, receiving positive news that the guerrillas had gone south again and crossed Greene river, we crossed the river, leaving to Colonel Shanks a piece of artillery with ammunition, which he kept there until his regiment was consolidated with that of the unfortunate Colonel Miller. Since then we have had but little trouble. Floating rumors, and the attack on Newburg, raised sometimes an excitement, but nothing happened of any consequence. My command has always been ready and willing to go and fight wherever their services were needed, and will do so in future, for which we are (thanks to your efforts, General,) well prepared.

The regiment was commanded in the first by Colonel Charles Mason, who resigned in November, 1861, when the command was given to me by his Excellency, Governor Morton. The regiment now consists of sixteen regularly organized companies, all provided with arms and ammunition, and numbering about eight hundred and fifty experienced men, most of whom are tolerably well drilled. Hoping that this report is according to order, I remain, General, respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

CHARLES FOURNIER, Colonel Fifth Regiment, Indiana Legion.







Leavenworth, Crawford County.

Major-General LOVE:

Sir:- In compliance with your order, I make the following report of the operations of the Legion in Crawford county.

On the 8th day of September, 1862, I was commissioned Colonel of the Sixth Regiment, Indiana Legion. On the 230 September last, the excitement on the border was intense; the people in the town of Leavenworth and vicinity believed that an invasion upon the town was probable, and they demanded that I would call a sufficient number of companies to picket the place.

I therefore ordered Captain Girdner and Captain Vandevers to report their commands at the town of Leavenworth on the 24th of September. They, with their companies, reported as ordered. and remained in camp three days.

The danger being past, the companies were discharged, and they returned home.

« PreviousContinue »