« PreviousContinue »
received the Spirit, were of one heart and of one
be as nothing ; yea then shall the Lord make ibe Church f.41.15
• as a new sharp rhreshing instrument, having toeth, and
And thus much for the explication of the Point. 1. Use.
The Use is two-fold.
1. The first is, to exhort all Men, every where, to endeavour to partake of this Supernatural, Spiritual and Divine Power of the Holy Spirit, which is certainly communicated to all the Faithful, and Elect in Christ Jesus. And let no Man think it is a thing indifferent, whether he have this Power or no, but know, that the having of this Power
of the Spirit, is of absolute necessity, and that A noéffity both for Ministers, and for all other Christians. for winillars to have the
1. There is a necellity of this Power of the Holy power of the Spirit for Ministers, and to them, this present Spirit: place doth chiefly relate.
1. For first, if they have not this power of the Holy Spirit, they have no power at all. For OtherChrist fent them, only as his Father sent him; wile they and so Christ never gave unto them any Earthly Power at or Humane or Secular Power, no Power of Swords all. or Prisons, no Power of outward constraint and siolence. Christ gave them no such outward and worldly Power, for the inlargement of his Kingdom, as not being at all suitable to it. For his Kingdom is Spiritual, and what can Carnal Power do in a Spiritual Kingdom? His Kingdom is Heavenly, and what can Earthly Power do in a Heavenly Kingdom? His Kingdom is not of this World, and what can Worldly Power do, in a Kingdom that is not of the World ? and though Antichrist and his Ministers, have arrogated and usurped such a Carnal and Earthly and Worldly Power to themselves, in their pretended mana. ging the Kingdom of Christ, yet the faithful Mi, nifters of Christ cannot.
And therefore seeing the Ministers of the Gorpel have no Power from beneath, they mnst needs have Power from on high; seeing they have no Fleshly Power, they must needs have Spiritual Power; seeing they have no Power from Earth and from Men, they must needs have Power from Heaven, and from God; that is, the Power of the Holy Spirit coming on them, or else they have no Power at all.
2. The Ministers of the Gospel must needs have 2. this Power of the Holy Spirit, because otherwise Without they are not sufficient for the Ministry: For no Man areinfutti is sufficient
for the Work of the Ministry, by any cient for natural Parts and Abilities of his own, nor yet the work by any acquisite parts of Humane Learning and of the Mi; Knowledge, but only by this Power of the Holy niftry. Spirit; and till he be indowed with this, nota Fithstanding all his other Accomplihments, he is
alcogether insufficient. And therefore the very
1. Without this power of the Spirit, Ministers They are
are utterly unable to preach the Word; that is, unabie to Preach
the true, spiritual and living Word of God. For the Word. to preach this Word of God, requires the Power of
God. One may speak the word of Man,by the power of Man, but he cannot speak the word of God, but by the Power of God. And Christ himself, in all his Ministry, spake nothing of himself in the strength of his Humane Nature, but he spake all he spake, by the Power of God, and without this Power of God, he could not have spoken one word of God. And so in like manner, no Man is able to preach Christ but by the Holy Spirit, which is the Power of God. For Christ is the Power of God, and can never be represented but by the Holy Spirit, which is the Power of God. For as we see Light in his Light, that is, the Fa
ther who is Light, in the Son who is Light ; or else the Son who is Light, in the Holy Spirit who is light; so we know Power in his Power, that Is the Son who is Power, in the Holy Spirit who is Power. And Christ who is the power of God, can never be made known to the Church, but by the ministration of the Spirit, which is the power of God. So that it is not an easie thing to preach Christ the power of God; yea none can do it aright, but by the power of the Holy Spirit coming upon him.
2. Without this power of the Spirit, Ministers are unable to preach the Word powerfully. They
Unable to may, it may be, happen upon the outward word, preach it yet there is no power in their Ministry, till they iy. have received this power of the Spirit coming upon them. Otherwise, their Ministry is cold, and there is no heat in it ; it is weak, and there is no trength in it.
1. lc is cold, and there is no heat in it. Without Men have received the power of the Spirit,
niftery there is no fire in their Preaching. Their Mini
cold withstry, is unlike the Ministry of Elias, whose Mini- out this ftry was as fire; and unlike John Bapeists, who in Power. his Ministry was a burning and shining light; and unlike Christs, whose Ministry made the Disciples hearts burn within them; and unlike the Apofles, who having received this Spirit, were as Men made all of fire, running through the World and burning it up.' Without this Spirit a Man's Ministry is cold, it warms the hearts of none, it inflames the Spirit of none, but leaves Men still frozen in their Sins.
2. It is weak and hath no might in it. There is no strength in a Ministry where there is no Weak. Spirit. Whereas when Men have received the Spirit, then their Ministry is a powerful Ministry, as Paul, 1 Thef. 1. s. The Gospel came to you not in
word only, but in power and in the Holy Ghost; and
never able to resist the wisdom and Spirit of ie; &ts 6. 10 as the Libertines, Cyrenians, and Alexandrians,
were not able to resist the Wisdom and Spirit by